Friday, December 7, 2018

The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassle








I originally started this book thinking I was picking up a YA but soon found myself reading what I'm pretty sure a YA would only ever mention vaguely enough so you know it has happened, but I don't read a lot of YA so maybe I'm wrong. Either way retellings of classic stories have been big the last couple of years both in the books and on screen and 'The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel' was the perfect retelling to be released this October.

The story is told to us from the point of view of young Katrina. Through her we learn many of the myths and legends that fuel the superstitious minds of the small Dutch American town of Sleepy Hollow. We also come to understand the relationships she has and builds with members of the town, both new and old. As the story unfolds we witness Katrina's highest and lowest points, brought on by romance, loss, and the ever hanging questions about the supernatural.

The story does an amazing job of not giving itself away all at once, there is never a point where we know something our main character has not yet realized and I like that about it. Until the very end it is uncertain if the mysterious events are created by the hands of man or if the legends are in fact true...



Follow Me On Instagram @ybarra_bookstacks

Professional Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment