Sunday, September 23, 2018

Indecent Reflections

                             
Have you ever thought about mirrors?
Most people look into a mirror at least once a day.
We go out of our way for just one more glance,
and why wouldn't we.
We were born into a world where there are such things as beauty standards.
Where in its earliest introduction into the home,
the mirror only furnished the walls of the very wealthy.
A sign of power and beauty.

Sometimes I feel that we like the vain act of peering into the looking glass,
because it gives us the chance to see ourselves as others do.
In fact I know we do.
We love and obsess over it,
just as we obsess over the way others see us and how they perceive us to be.

The eyes of others always have been and always will be the original mirrors.
We see ourselves when we look into another persons eyes.
The person they see us to be.
The version of us they themselves have made us out to be.
We like the way we look in some peoples eyes more than others.
The same way we like the way certain people look at us more than others.

They were right when they said that the eyes are the window to the soul.
The only question now is,
when I look into your eyes is it your soul I'm seeing or is it the reflection of my own?
And if it is my soul, is it reflected back at me in its entirety,
or is it only the pieces of myself that I have allowed you to see
and the blank spaces you have filled in?

What vain little creatures we are,
that we would look in the eyes of another with only the hope of finding ourselves there...

~ Elyza Ybarra

No comments:

Post a Comment