Monday, August 20, 2018

If She Dies, She Takes The Truth With Her


I wasn't planning on posting anything until next week, however since I already stated I was planning to put up the Gerald's Game post then I figured an extra time this week wouldn't hurt and I really want this post to be up before the release date of the book. So here it is...

Title: Sadie

Author: Courtney Summers

Genre: YA, Thriller, Suspense

I had stopped reading YA awhile back. I just couldn’t get into what I was picking up anymore but that all changed this past month. Courtney Summers had me hooked by the second page with the line "And it begins, as so many Stories do, with a dead girl.". To be honest with you if I hadn’t had responsibilities at the time I started reading, I probably would have finished it in a day or two. Sadie starts off  as the story of a girl that everyone suspects to be a runaway, but quickly unfolds into a girls journey to find the man who murdered her sister at any and all costs.

The story is told from two points of view and on two time lines:

The first is told by West McCray. McCray's story is told through the script of his podcast titled "The Girls". McCray has been tasked with essentially following the story of our girl Sadie who has run away after the murder of her younger sister, whom she raised. Through the podcast we get to hear the side of the people and the life Sadie was supposedly running away from and the interviews of people who interacted with her on her journey after she left home. 

The second is told by Sadie herself. Sadie who unknown to anyone back home is on a hunt, a mission for revenge and she wants much more then for the man that murdered her sister to be put behind bars. The cops didn't know who did it but Sadie does and so as she begins her journey she tells us herself, "I'm going to kill a man. I'm going to take the light from his eyes. I want to watch it go out. You aren't supposed to answer violence with more violence but sometimes I think violence is the only answer.".

Courtney Summers really knows how to give substance to a character. Sadie is built up for us by herself, by her own thoughts, feelings and inner monologue. We come to understand her thought process for the here and now. Through West McCray we learn more about her back story, and come to understand a bit of why we see the things in her we do. This process helps Sadie's side of the story to move along without having to stop in the middle of her constant moving to recant a past she has no need to concern herself with, and also keeps the reader on track.

Sadie can be found in bookstores on 9.4.18


You can follow me on Instagram @ybarra_bookstacks

Professional Reader



No comments:

Post a Comment