Saturday, August 18, 2018

Stephen King TV and Cinema (2016 and on)

These past couple years have been very good to Stephen King fans. And no it's not because new books came out, because if you didn't know King has published about 2+ books a year, every year since his first book Carrie was published in 1974. So if you were thinking you wanted to start a collection your already about 71 books behind, and once October hits the next two books will have been released so that makes 73. That will also make five books released this year alone. It has been good for King fans because of all the movies and TV shows that have been coming out and will continue to come out, for the next couple years *fingers crossed*. Some people might be looking at their screens with confused faces right now and that's ok. Most people who don't follow along with the book continuity may not even realize what is King and what isn't when its on TV or the big screen or that it has even been released. 

Surprisingly Hulu and Netflix have played a big part in this. Hulu was ahead of the game releasing their first Stephen King show '11.22.63' (named after its book) in 2016. In 2018 Hulu has Taken it one step further with its new Stephen King show 'Castle Rock' (named after one of Kings made up Maine towns where many of his stories take place or near) which is currently on its 6th episode with new episodes being added once a week (no Hulu does not sponsor me, I just like to share!). Let me just say there is a SHIT TON of easter eggs in this show, I screamed when I saw the opening the first time because it shows pages and manuscripts from many of the books that are set in the small town. To be honest I'm probably going to have more posts to talk purely about Castle Rock so be ready because I need to move on for the moment. While Hulu has been making shows Netflix has been making movies releasing both 'Gerald's Game' and '1922'. Also released on TV in 2017 were both shows 'The Mist' (based off of a King short story originally published in 'Skeleton Crew' in 1980, was re-released as its own book in paperback July 2018), and 'Mr. Mercedes' (named after its book). The Mist comes on Spike, but can also be binged on Netflix!

The last two 2017 releases are the ones that you had to buy a movie ticket to go see. These are of course 'The Dark Tower' (Which is an 8 book series if you were wondering), and the new 'IT' movie (also named after its book). I didn't get to see The Dark Tower because I have not started its series but I have a basic understanding of the tower itself from what I have picked up from other readers and have gotten the understanding that it serves as an entryway into the settings of all of Kings works, the beam, and its animal guardians. I wont go into IT now because I have yet to read the book, but of course have seen the original TV mini series we all call the original movie. 

Now to the future! Here are some of Kings works said to be getting movies, TV series, or Remakes soon:
  •  Pet Semetary and Fire Starter are both looking at getting their own remakes soon. I haven't seen the originals! I need to hunt them down.
  • Sleeping Beauties TV series. This book was Released in October of 2017. All of the women in the world fall into a deep sleep even growing a cocoon like a butterfly but if they are awoken from their sleep they become rabid. Sounds normal to me besides the cocoon. Ha Ha... this IS on my bookshelf but I have yet to start it
  • Hearts in Atlantis movie
  • Doctor Sleep movie. sequel to the Shining
  • IT 2 that ones a given. When are we getting a trailer though...I keep running into that damn fan made trailer!
I'm not 100% on if these are all real or hearsay so if I end up being wrong I apologize now!

What I can guarantee are the book releases:
  • Flight or Fright (release date Sep.4,2018)
  • Elevation (release date Oct.30,2018)

Next week I will be comparing Netflix's 'Gerald's Game' movie to the book! 

I have also have a checklist for myself mostly, of all of Kings books listed by and with original release date which I update as new titles are announced or released. Let me know if you would like me to post it...

You can follow me on Instagram @ybarra_bookstacks







No comments:

Post a Comment